What is chronic pain? And is it possible to overcome it? We interview a top pain doctor to find out
Do you live with chronic pain? And if so, what impact does it have on your life, and what can you do to take control back and even overcome it?
According to NICE, between one-third and one-half of the UK population (just under 28 million adults) are affected by chronic pain. It impacts every part of their life – from their mental health and physical wellbeing, to their relationships and their professional capacity.
We wanted to learn more about chronic pain, and how people can take more control back over their lives. So we invited one of the UK’s leading pain consultants to speak to us on the Get Rich Slow podcast.
Dr Deepak Ravindran has 20 years of experience in helping people overcome their pain. He is one of the few consultants in the UK with triple certification in musculoskeletal medicine, pain medicine and lifetime medicine.
He is a full time NHS consultant in pain medicine and anaesthesia at the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust in Reading and the lead for the Pain Service. He is also author of the book The Pain-Free Mindset, which shares seven steps to taking control and overcoming chronic pain.
Here’s what we cover in this episode:
- What ‘pain’ actually is, and the relationship between our mind and our body.
- What nociception means and why our brains try to over protect us.
- Why mindset is so important when it comes to pain and pain management.
- The connection between a growth mindset and pain.
- Why diet, sleep and exercise are so important for preventing and managing pain.
- The biggest mistakes that you see people make in trying to cure or manage their pain.
- What role control plays in pain, and how to get more of it.
- What responsibility YOU need to play in your own healthcare.
Dr Ravindran recommends these resources: livewellwithpain.co.uk and painconcern.org.uk.
Listen to Pain-free Mindset with Dr Deepak Ravindran now
You can listen to the Pain-free Mindset episode of the Get Rich Slow podcast with Dr Deepak Ravindran here now!