Five foods you must avoid giving your dog this Easter

We all want to treat our pets this Easter, but giving these five treats to your dog could lead to terrible consequences.

Easter is a time for treats for the whole family, and as one of the most important members of our household, it can be tempting to slip your dog some of your Easter egg or Sunday lunch. However, there are so many risks associated with feeding your dog certain human foods, which are often overlooked by owners.

Dogs have a tendency to know when something yummy is up for grabs, but you’ll want to keep some of your favourite Easter goodies away from your four-legged friend this year. Many of these common Easter treats will have a huge impact on your dog’s body and can even be poisonous to your dog.

In this article, My Pet Needs That shares with us what foods you should avoid giving to your dog this year and what to do if your dog does accidentally consume these treats. 

Why can’t dogs eat human food?

A human’s digestive system is very different from that of a dog. We are able to eat much richer and fattier foods, which dogs would struggle to digest properly. When dogs consume too much of these foods, it can result in diarrhoea, sickness, and even long-term damage or pancreatitis.

A lot of our food also contains high levels of sodium, which can be dangerous for dogs. Certain foods are toxic for dogs, including chocolate, raisins, almonds, and garlic.

While it can be tempting to feed your dog leftovers, you could be damaging their little body when you feed them human meals. This is especially true of restaurant or store-bought food, as you don’t know exactly what hidden ingredients are in the item.

Five foods you must avoid giving your dog this Easter

So, if you want to avoid any emergency trips to the vet this Easter, here are five foods you must avoid giving your dog.

1) Easter eggs

With all of those Easter eggs floating around our homes, it can be tempting to drop a few little pieces of chocolate to your dog. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and can make them extremely ill, and in some cases fatal. 

The main reason for this issue is that chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine. Both of these are challenging for your dog to metabolise, unlike human bodies, which can deal with their effects easily. These chemicals can poison your dog if they are over consumed.  

A common side effect from dogs consuming chocolate include vomiting, diarrhoea, thirst, an increased heart rate, seizures, and heart failure. Older dogs, in particular, are at a much higher risk of poisoning from eating dark chocolate. Immediately call your vet if you notice they have consumed significant chocolate.

2) Lamb bone

Ultimately, dropping your dog a leftover lamb bone is a terrible idea this Easter. Many cooked bones will splinter when a dog has them in their mouth, which could cause severe damage to their internal organs. While raw bones are sometimes okay for dogs to consume under supervision, it’s generally best to steer clear from lamb bones altogether.

The pieces of bone which splinter could cause constipation and internal bleeding is the worst-case scenario as a result of this. When pieces of bone pierce the intestines or the stomach, it can result in a bacterial infection called peritonitis.

There’s also a risk of pancreatitis due to the higher fat content of lamb. Remove the bone straight away if you do notice your dog has taken it, and seek assistance to check for potential bone splinters.

3) Hot cross buns

If your dog is trying to sniff your hot cross bun this Easter, avoid handing them over any of this treat. The primary reason for this is due to the raisins, which should never be consumed by dogs. Research suggests that raisins are toxic to dogs due to mycotoxin or salicylate. When a dog consumes raisins, there is a risk that blood flow to the kidneys will decrease.

If your dog does eat raisins, you’ll want to call your vet immediately. The sooner the poisoning is dealt with, the easier it is to treat this Easter. The first sign of poisoning is vomiting, which usually happens within a day of eating the raisins.

From there, this can result in the kidneys failing, which can be seen through diarrhoea, stomach pain, no desire to eat, and increased thirst. This eventually leads to the kidneys shutting down and the dog potentially entering into a coma.

4) Easter sweets

For anyone who has gone for an alternative sweet treat this Easter for your kids, you’ll also want to avoid giving your dog any gummy sweets. Many sweets include an ingredient called xylitol, which is particularly common in sugar-free sweets.

This synthetic sweetener will decrease your dog’s blood sugar level, which will eventually result in liver failure. The first symptoms to look out for include vomiting, tiredness, and difficulty with coordination. From there, your dog may even develop seizures. 

5) Easter dinner cheese plate

A cheese plate is a great savoury dessert option to compensate for all those Easter eggs. However, you won’t want your furry friend to get their paws on any of your cheese, particularly blue cheeses such as Roquefort and stilton.

Dogs are often allergic to roquefortine C, which is found in this type of cheese. You’ll find the most common symptoms of intoxication include muscle tremors, vomiting, seizures, and panting. While recovery is certainly possible within a couple of days, you will want to check with your vet if your dog is experiencing more severe symptoms.

Photo by Victor Grabarczyk