What to pack when travelling with a baby
Travelling with a baby is both exciting and a little daunting. Check out our easy to follow list to ensure you pack all you need for a successful holiday.
Deciding to head off on a family adventure whether you choose a staycation or head abroad, can be both exciting and a little bit daunting.
In this guide we’ll walk you through what essentials you should pack for travelling with a baby from clothes to baby bottles; so you can be sure that’s one less thing for you to worry about.
Top tip: Wondering how to prepare for a road trip with your family? We’ve got you covered in this simple guide with nine tips for going on holiday with a baby.
Travelling abroad? Here’s what to pack in your carry-on on
When it comes to travelling with your baby, your carry-on is the place to pack all your essentials so you’ll have all the necessities at your holiday destination. Here are the top items we recommend you ensure you include:
- Nappies, wipes, and nappy cream (ensure the packaging is less than 100ml as per airline regulations)
- A travel changing mat
- Formula or expressed breastmilk
- Baby bottles (need some help choosing some new ones? There is a great selection to choose from these days, so why not have a browse and click here?)
- A breast pump
- Burp cloths and/or muslins
- Baby blanket
- Change of clothes (pack an outfit for your baby and an outfit for you – just in case)
- Wet bag (for storing dirty clothes if needed)
- A dummy or two (if your baby uses them)
- A couple of small jars of baby food and snacks (if your baby is of weaning age)
- A baby toy or two
- Any medications your baby requires (including infant paracetamol)
- Mobile phone and charger
Top tip: If you’re not travelling abroad, this carry-on list could be used to pack a grab-and-go back. The last thing you want is to be trawling through a suitcase in your car at a service station during your journey for these essentials.
What to pack in your suitcase
A suitcase is the best place to store all the other bits that you may need while on holiday with your baby. Once you’ve packed the essentials into your carry-on or grab-and-go bag, here’s what to put in your suitcase:
- More nappies: If you think you have enough, pack some more. It’s better to have too many and not need them than need them and not have enough. Around 7-10 per day should cover what you need. This is especially important if you’re going to a rural area or a new country where you are unsure about the nappy situation in local shops.
- More wipes: As with nappies, there’s no such thing as too much. After all, anything you don’t use can easily travel home with you.
- Sun lotion: Factor 50 is best! Also, keep an eye out for a high UV rating when choosing your brand.
- A first aid kit: No matter how careful you are, little ones are bound to get a few bumps and bruises along the way. A basic first aid kit is a great addition to your holiday packing.
- Extra baby bottles: This will save you time in the long run when what you really want to be doing is enjoying your holiday and time with your family.
- Baby food: If your little one is of weaning age, in particular, if you’re travelling abroad, ensuring your baby has enough food to last the trip is key.
- Utensils and a sippy cup: Often these items won’t be provided, so it’s good to be prepared with the items your baby will need.
- A portable highchair: It’s amazing what’s available these days, so have a look for a quick and easy foldable seat that can travel with you and secure your little one at mealtimes.
- Weather-appropriate clothing: From swimwear and sun hats for sunny beaches, to woolly beanies and coats for mountain-top retreats, ensure you pack plenty of weather-appropriate clothing alongside the usual pyjamas and day-to-day clothes you put inside your suitcase.
- Baby entertainment: From books to toys, this is something you’ll definitely not want to forget when it comes to travelling with a baby.
Top tip: If your baby has a favourite teddy or blanket that they can’t sleep without, be sure to make sure you pack it safely to take away with you on your travels.
It’s as simple as that. From baby bottles to toys, and books to woolly hats, you now have a list of all the essentials you need to have a successful trip with your baby. Now all that’s left to do is start preparing for your travels and get packing your suitcase!