What shows are casting for teens now?
Looking for acting opportunities on TV? Find out what shows are currently casting teenagers, and how to land a part.
The demand for teen actors in TV shows is always high, as shows want to portray characters authentically. This includes casting actors who are actually teenagers or who can convincingly play teenagers.
With the proliferation of streaming services and an increased appetite for diverse content, there are plenty of opportunities for talented teens. However, the acting world is competitive, and staying updated on auditions and casting for teens is crucial for success.
Current popular genres for teens
Currently, various genres are seeking teen actors. Sci-fi series like “Stranger Things” have shown that teen-led casts can attract a broad audience. Drama and comedy series also regularly feature teen characters dealing with real-life issues that resonate with younger viewers. Fantasy series, inspired by the success of shows like “Game of Thrones,” are also on the rise and often feature young actors in crucial roles.
TV shows currently casting
While this is not an exhaustive list, some popular TV shows currently casting teen actors include:
- Rating: 10/10
- Synopsis: This universally acclaimed series explores a heartwarming and queer-focused storyline featuring teens Charlie and Nick, who discover their friendship could be more.
- Casting: The leads, Joe Locke and Kit Connor, truly embody the essence of teenage life.
‘That ’90s Show’ (2023-)
- Rating: 9/10
- Synopsis: A spin-off from the classic “That ’70s Show,” this series focuses on the next generation of teens during the summer of 1995.
- Casting: The young ensemble, aged between 13-18, genuinely captures teenage life, a rarity in most shows.
‘I Am Not Okay With This’ (2020)
- Rating: 8/10
- Synopsis: Sydney, a high school student, grapples with adolescence, family, and newfound superpowers.
- Casting: Sophia Lillis and Wyatt Oleff, both around 16-17 during filming, play characters close to their actual age.
‘Derry Girls’ (2018-2022)
- Rating: 7/10
- Synopsis: Set against the backdrop of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, this series focuses on a group of friends in a Catholic girls’ school.
- Casting: Despite being over thirty, the cast convincingly portrays their teenage characters.
‘Ms. Marvel’ (2022)
- Rating: 6/10
- Synopsis: The coming-of-age story of Kamala Khan, the first Muslim superhero in the MCU.
- Casting: Iman Vellani and her co-stars were all under 21 during filming, maintaining an authentic teen look.
- Rating: 5/10
- Synopsis: This series reimagines the classic Wednesday Addams character, focusing on her teen years.
- Casting: The young cast, all around 20, brings a fun and quirky tone to the show.
‘On My Block (2018-2021)
- Rating: 4/10
- Synopsis: This underrated Netflix series depicts the life of four street-smart friends navigating adolescence in a rough LA neighborhood.
- Casting: The main actors were all between 18-20 when cast, convincingly portraying teenagers.
Note: The list of shows mentioned in the article you provided are already cast and currently airing or completed. Therefore, they might still need to be cast. It is always best to check casting websites, official websites, or social media pages of TV shows or networks for the most current casting information.
Where to find casting calls
- Online Casting Websites: Backstage and KidsCasting regularly update their listings with casting calls for teen actors.
- Social Media Pages: Follow the social media pages of casting agencies, TV networks, and even the shows, as they often post casting calls and auditions on their pages.
- Talent Agencies: If you are signed with a talent agency, they regularly send casting calls that fit your profile.
Tips for auditioning
- Prepare for the audition: Make sure you fully understand the character you audition for. Practice your lines until you know them by heart and can deliver them naturally.
- Expectations during the audition: Be prepared to wait as many other actors might be auditioning. Stay positive and confident, but also be ready to take direction and adjust your performance.
- Making a memorable impression: Be professional and courteous to everyone you interact with. Bring any requested materials, such as a headshot and resume. Lastly, thank the casting director and any other staff after your audition.
Stay updated on current casting calls
Staying updated on current casting calls is essential for success in the acting world. Check online casting websites, follow relevant social media pages, and keep in touch with your talent agency. Prepare thoroughly for each audition, and remain positive and professional. Rejections are part of the industry, but with determination and persistence, you can succeed.