Top 10 rom-coms to watch this Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than by snuggling up with your loved one and watching a romantic comedy?
Rom-coms have been a staple of the movie industry for decades, and for good reason. They’re fun, lighthearted, and always leave us feeling warm and fuzzy inside.
To help you decide what to watch this Valentine’s Day, we’ve teamed up with the team at Upbeat Geek and compiled a list of the best rom-coms of all time. From classics like “When Harry Met Sally” to modern favorites like “Crazy Rich Asians,” there’s something for everyone on this list. So grab some popcorn, pour a glass of wine, and prepare for a night of laughter, tears, and all the feels.
Top picks for Valentine’s Day 2024
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than with a good romantic comedy? Here are our top picks for this year’s Valentine’s Day:
Sometimes, the oldies are the goodies. Here are some classic rom-coms that are sure to make your heart flutter:
- When Harry Met Sally – This timeless classic starring Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal explores the age-old question: can men and women just be friends?
- Sleepless in Seattle – Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan team up again in this heartwarming tale of two people brought together by fate and a little radio magic.
- Pretty Woman – Julia Roberts and Richard Gere star in this modern-day Cinderella story about a prostitute who falls in love with a wealthy businessman.
If you’re looking for something a little more current, check out these recent rom-com hits:
- Crazy Rich Asians – This groundbreaking film features an all-Asian cast and tells the story of a New Yorker who travels to Singapore to meet her boyfriend’s wealthy family.
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before – Based on the popular young adult novel, this Netflix original follows the story of a teenage girl whose secret love letters are accidentally sent to her crushes.
- The Big Sick – This critically acclaimed film is based on the real-life love story of Kumail Nanjiani and his wife, Emily Gordon, and explores the challenges of navigating cultural differences in a relationship.
Finally, here are some underrated rom-coms that you may have missed:
- The Proposal – Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds star in this hilarious film about a boss who forces her assistant to marry her to avoid deportation.
- The Holiday – This charming film follows two women who swap homes for the holidays and unexpectedly find love.
- 13 Going on 30 – Jennifer Garner stars in this fun and nostalgic film about a 13-year-old girl who wakes up as a 30-year-old woman and must navigate the ups and downs of adult life.
No matter what your taste in rom-coms may be, there’s sure to be something on this list that will make your Valentine’s Day a little bit sweeter.
Rom-coms by theme
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than by watching some of the best romantic comedies of all time? We’ve compiled a list of rom-coms by theme to help you choose the perfect movie for your Valentine’s Day date night.
Friends to lovers
If you’re a fan of the friends-to-lovers trope, you’ll love these romantic comedies. These movies show that sometimes the best relationships start with a strong friendship.
- When Harry Met Sally (1989)
- My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997)
- Just Friends (2005)
Opposites are attracted to these romantic comedies, where two people from different worlds come together to find love. These movies are perfect for those who love a good underdog story.
- Pretty Woman (1990)
- The Proposal (2009)
- The Ugly Truth (2009)
Second chance at love
These romantic comedies show that love can come at any age, and sometimes it takes a second chance to find your soulmate. These movies are perfect for those who believe in true love.
- The Notebook (2004)
- Serendipity (2001)
- The Best of Me (2014)
So there you have it, our list of rom-coms by theme. Whether you’re in the mood for friends-to-lovers, opposites attract, or second chances at love, these movies will surely make your Valentine’s Day date night a success.
Are you looking for a romantic comedy that takes you beyond Hollywood? Look no further than these international rom-coms that will make you laugh, cry, and fall in love.
Bollywood love stories
Bollywood is known for its grandiose musicals but has a soft spot for romantic comedies. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Jab We Met: This classic romantic comedy follows the story of Aditya and Geet, two strangers who meet on a train and embark on a journey of self-discovery and love. With catchy songs and endearing performances, this film will surely leave you smiling.
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai: This iconic film starring Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, and Rani Mukerji is a must-watch for any rom-com fan. The story follows the love triangle between Rahul, Anjali, and Tina, and is filled with heartwarming moments and memorable songs.
Europe has produced some of the most charming and sophisticated rom-coms out there. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Amélie: This French film follows the quirky and lovable Amélie as she sets out to help those around her find happiness, all while falling in love herself. This film is a true gem with stunning visuals and a whimsical soundtrack.
- Love Actually: This British classic follows the interconnected love stories of several characters during the holiday season. With an all-star cast and a heartwarming message about the power of love, this film is a perennial favorite.
East Asian heartwarmers
East Asian cinema is renowned for producing some of the most heartwarming and emotional rom-coms around. Here are a few of our favorites:
- My Sassy Girl: This Korean film follows the unlikely romance between Gyeon-woo, a college student, and the titular sassy girl. With sharp humor and poignant moments, this film is a must-watch for any rom-com fan.
- Crazy Rich Asians: This Hollywood film may be set in Singapore, but it features a predominantly East Asian cast and crew. The film follows the love story between Rachel and Nick, and is a visual feast of opulence and romance.
Whether you’re in the mood for a Bollywood musical or a French romance, these international rom-coms will satisfy you.