Six warehouse maintenance mistakes you need to correct right now
As a warehouse manager or business owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that your employees are safe and that your business operates efficiently.
However, many things can go wrong in a warehouse environment if you don’t know what you’re doing. Here are some of the most common mistakes made by warehouse managers and how you can avoid them.
1) The wrong kind of equipment
The faulty equipment can lead to injury and a lack of efficiency, costing you money in the long run. The first thing that needs to be considered is whether or not it’s appropriate for the job. The second thing to consider is whether or not this equipment works well.
2) Insufficiently trained employees
You can’t just hire someone off the street and expect them to know how to use the equipment in your warehouse. You’ll need to train them on handling hazardous materials and dangerous situations, as well as first aid and CPR. Your employees should also be familiar with your warehouse’s layout to find what they need quickly and efficiently.
3) Lack of updated safety policies
Safety is every warehouse’s top priority. It’s why you have a designated safety manager on your staff. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean that warehouse workers always follow the rules or pay attention to their surroundings when they should be doing so. This lapse could be because your updated policies are not being communicated well to everyone in your organization who needs them.
4) Outdated inventory management software
You’ve probably heard about the importance of modern inventory management software for your warehouse operations. The truth is one of the best ways to increase efficiency and productivity in your facility is through an effective inventory management system.
These systems can help you reduce costs by ensuring that products are always available when needed, reducing time spent on stock-outs and replenishing orders.
Here are some ways that modern inventory software can improve efficiency at your warehouse:
- Reduce Costs – Your company may be able to save money by purchasing goods only when needed instead of stocking up on excess inventory in case it’s needed later on down the road.
- Boost Productivity – Using technology enables workers who normally would spend hours manually logging items into CRM systems like Microsoft Dynamics NAV (formerly Navision), SAP Business Warehouse (BWA), etc.
5) Neglecting warehouse equipment maintenance
Neglecting to maintain your warehouse equipment and machinery is a surefire way to lose money. When the equipment that enables you to do business breaks down, it means lost revenue and headaches for everyone involved.
However, investing in proper maintenance is one of the easiest ways to avoid these issues. Planning and budgeting appropriately for regular inspections and repairs ensures that your warehouse runs smoothly and efficiently.
6) Improper storage solutions
If you want an efficient, productive, and organized warehouse, you must ensure that your storage solutions are up to standard, like those from Aurora Storage.
There are many different types of storage solutions available on the market today. However, not all of these solutions will work for your specific needs, so connecting with reliable storage solutions providers like Aurora Storage is essential.
Also, keep these tips in mind:
- Take inventory of everything that needs storing before purchasing new equipment or building additional space to keep things organized. This includes measuring the size of more oversized items and determining how much space is needed for smaller items such as boxes and containers.
- Consider whether there will be enough room after finalizing construction plans – do not forget about any existing structures within proximity from which dirt could fall onto newly installed floors.
Check you aren’t making these mistakes
You can make several mistakes with your warehouse, and it’s important to correct them as soon as possible. A good warehouse will increase efficiency and allow your company to achieve its goals. We hope the above information was useful.