How to start making and sharing video content for your business
Want to start making and sharing video content to promote yourself or your business? Read practical tips to help you get started.
There’s never been a better time to embrace video making. Not only is it becoming an increasingly important business tool, but with new technology (and sharing platforms) appearing on an almost-daily basis, it’s easier than ever to make and share video content. Even if you don’t have any professional video-making equipment or skills!
To help you get started, Vee Roberts, director of insight2Marketing, shares her advice on embracing video for business.
Why you NEED to think about using video
According to Cisco, by 2017, video will account for 69% of all consumer traffic. Video-on-demand traffic alone will have almost trebled. The Guardian even goes as far as to suggest that video is the ‘future of content marketing’.
With the introduction of video on social media platforms, it’s now more important than ever to get to grips with how powerful video can be – especially if you have useful, relevant content to share.
Video is a brilliant tactic to help increase your brand visibility and connect you to a wider audience too. And I’m not just talking about YouTube. I’ve had success connecting with people all over the world because of my videos on my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts.
Videos can also save you time
One of the main advantages of using video is that, provided that you have a set of content themes (or topics) to focus on, recording videos can save you the time and effort of having to write and rewrite everything.
So think about what you want to be known for, and also consider how you can use videos to demonstrate your expertise and get your message across. For example, by offering how to, useful tips on, live demos etc.
Six ideas of how you can use video content
Some ideas of how you can use video content to grow your business include:
- To connect with your colleagues, followers and fans.
- To demonstrate that you know your stuff!
- To raise your brand awareness.
- To share useful content and ideas.
- To demonstrate your products or services.
- To share exciting news.
Using video on social media
Video is now a popular social media tool, with businesses using it on Facebook live, Periscope, Twitter replies, Instagram, Snapchat and, of course, YouTube.
But don’t just make videos for the sake of making videos! It’s important that your videos have a purpose. Some of the things you should consider before making a video include:
- What you want to say.
- What you want the video to achieve.
- Who is your target audience for it.
- What do you want them to think/feel/do.
- Where you will share the video.
- How long it should be.
Remember to offer valuable content, concentrate on some key themes and be authentic (let your true brand personality shine).
Tips to help you get started with video
Here are some practical tips to help you make your first video:
- Make a promotional video using your phone. (iMovie is a great tool for
- this if you have an iPhone.) You can also record straight from your smartphone if it has a microphone and recording facility.
- Remember to record in landscape (so you don’t get the black lines at the side)
- Do a Live Stream on Facebook Live – write an enticing headline that lets people know what it will be about. Or create an Instagram or Twitter video.
- Think about the themes you will discuss on your videos. Can you use a
- #hashtag to widen your visibility and reach online? Perhaps you will have a series, or specific topics to talk about.
- If you are planning on using YouTube, do consider playlists too.
- Having a plan of action and ideas to record will be useful for you in mapping things out properly and being organised.
- If you’re ready to make a video, before you go live consider inviting some friends or family to watch and support you.
- You could even set up an event or group and do your video live within the group before you unleash it out into the world.
Tips for each social media platform
Need advice on adding videos to your social media platforms? You can read tips here:
- Read Twitter video tips here.
- Read tips for Facebook with video here.
- Read tips on Instagram videos here.
- Read tips on Snapchat video chat here.
- Read tips on Periscope here.
You can also read nine ideas for ways you can use video in your business here.
Already using video and stuck on what to record or share?
Are you unsure how to use videos to build your brand, as a promotional tool? Perhaps you are already using video and unsure how to brand yourself or create better content that attracts your ideal clients?
In the ever-evolving world of digital technology, it’s good to keep abreast of trends to stay connected with your target audience. Now is the right time to get it right on video! If you want advice on how to do this, or if you are currently considering how to improve your video content to build your brand, email me and we can have a chat.
Need more help? You can find out when Vee’s next business branding and YouTube masterclass is running here.