Five factors you need to consider before buying a watch online
Watches aren’t just handy if you want to know the time. They’re also a coveted accessory that can complement and outfit, and make a statement about your taste, lifestyle and even success.
But how do you choose the right watch that will fulfil all these requirements? Especially with such a bewildering choice available? To help you, watchshopping.com have put together a quick guide to the five factors you need to consider before buying a watch online.
1) How it fits
Your wrist size is an important factor when choosing a watch. If you have a large wrist, you should consider a watch with a stronger and bigger face – thin, small watches may look too delicate. Equally, a watch that is too large could look equally out of place.
2) The style
Versatility is key when choosing a watch. Most people opt for something minimal and classic. Just make sure it goes with the type of outfits you wear every day, and try to choose a neutral colour. Straps are usually replaceable and you can opt for suede, leather strap, or metallic chain.
3) Value retention and price
Don’t consider your watch as a financial investment. Unlike vintage watches, once you have purchased a watch, it will be hard for it to be able to increase value in the future. Instead, think of it like a car: once you have paid for it and become the owner, it starts depreciating.
If you want to buy a more expensive watch and sell it later, then check out how much a pre-owned watch costs compared to new versions of the same model and brand.
When shopping for a wristwatch remember that again, just like a car, it will need to be maintained. Some brands of wristwatch are more robust and have a better reputation for durability. These will require little maintenance, but may cost more initially.
In this case, it’s worth considering whether it’s worth paying more upfront and saving in the long term. When it comes to servicing, just make sure you enlist the service of professional.
5) The watch band
Watches can have different types of watch band material – ranging from fabric, metal or ceramics, to plastic or rubber. The choice of the type of band to choose will depend on your style and where you wear the watch. on. It’s never a bad idea to have different watch bands for emergencies.
Here’s a quick rundown of some of the materials:
- Leather – This is one of the most common watch bands materials. It’s classic style and can come in different colours. You can choose real or fake leather, in alligator, cowhide, or crocodile.
- Plastic – Plastic watch bands are normally found on sports or casual watches and come features like shock absorption, impact resistance, and moisture resistance. Plastic bands for watches generally last longer and are more comfortable.
- Rubber – Rubber bands for watches are similar to the plastic ones. They are durable, comfortable, and effective. Sports and dive watch suit rubber watch bands, due to the rugged and extensive features.
- Stainless steel – Bands made from stainless steel are normally a combination of chromium and steel. Stainless steel bands are rust-resistant, durable and stronger than any other bands.
- Fabric – Watch bands made from fabric come in various colors, styles, and prints. You have an option of going for a specific one or a textile combination for different casual wear.