Choosing the material for your home’s siding
Siding allows not only to create houses with an interesting and beautiful design but also to protect houses from negative external influences.
Now on the market, there is an incredible selection of panels, so you can choose them for every taste and budget. How not get lost in their varieties? We will talk about what types of external covering exist.
What is siding?
This is the covering of the outer walls of a house. Usually, this means special panels, sheets, and modules that are attached to the walls by various methods. A variety of materials provides a variety of textures and special colourful coatings.
It is possible to find siding for sale near you and find siding Ottawa depending on your wishes and the material from which the modules are made.
This type of siding is a panel made of plastic (PVC). Profiles and colours can be varied. Many different accessories are made for panels from this material. For example, external and internal corners, slats, and profiles of various shapes.
Pros of vinyl covering:
- Durability (service life reaches 50 years)
- Resistance to temperature changes
- Variety of shapes, colours, and accessories
- Not harmful to humans
- Sheathing of such material allows you to hide all the irregularities and shortcomings of the building
- Ventilation can be installed, so the design can be breathable
- Easy to clean with water
Cons of vinyl siding:
- Panels change in size under the influence of temperatures
- Bright and saturated colours may fade over time
Panels of this type are made of metal, namely galvanized steel, according to the dimensions and patterns of vinyl sheathing. From above, they are covered with polymeric materials. Like vinyl panels, metal panels come in a variety of shapes and colours.
Advantages of the metal siding of the building:
- Installed at any time of the year, it is not necessary to wait for the shrinkage of the building
- Resistant to temperature extremes and sunlight
- Strong to mechanical influences
- If the top coating is damaged, corrosion may occur
- More expensive than the plastic counterpart
- A small selection of designs
This type has the following advantages:
- Fire resistance
- Flawless appearance for many years
- The coating does not need to be washed
- Very durable, it is difficult to damage them mechanically
Panels made of this material also have disadvantages:
- High price
- Big weight
- Somewhat difficult to install
From an aesthetic point of view, this type of coverage is in no way inferior to all the others, as it has a large selection of colours and textures in its arsenal. If you want to make the cladding reliable and beautiful, then ceramic siding is what you need.
It is made from acrylic styrene. In terms of shapes, textures and colours, such a lining differs little from vinyl, but it has several advantages:
- More durable colours — retain brightness up to 10 times longer
- Less sensitive to temperature changes
- Acrylic is more resistant to chemicals (various detergents)
- When exposed to fire, it does not burn and emits less harmful substances than vinyl covering.
The only drawback of this kind of siding is that it will cost a little more than vinyl. However, the operational benefits are worth paying a little more
It exists in two types, depending on the form:
- Blockhouse: it resembles a log in shape, the panels have a convex shape
- Under the beam: the slats have a smooth, flat shape sometimes they have chamfered edges.
It should be noted that the cost and, most importantly, the technical characteristics depend on the material.
Good wood is durable, it is not afraid of almost any weather conditions and even bacteria and insects. There is a more budget option — composite wood. It is indistinguishable from the real one in appearance, and the technical characteristics make it possible to safely use such siding for several decades.
In general, wood has the following advantages:
- Beautiful appearance
- Ecological material
- Quite easy to install
Cons of wood covering:
- Requires complex ongoing care
- Compared to many artificial materials, it is less durable and resistant
The choice of finishing the external walls of the house depends on many factors: what material the house is built from, whether insulation is needed from the outside, how even and strong the walls of the building are, how much money the owner of the house is willing to spend on cladding, what are the climatic conditions in the place where the house is built, what is the humidity and illumination, what is the design of the building, etc.