Your 30-second guide to launching a freelance career
We’ve already covered the first ten steps of a freelance career in depth. Now, for time-starved mums we’ve compiled a quick, 30-second guide to launching a successful freelance career.
So if you’re toying with the idea of becoming a freelancer, but need a reminder or prompt of the steps you need to follow to get there, we hope our short guide helps.
Learn how to launch a freelance career in 30 seconds
To get your freelance career off to a flying start, make sure you follow these 10 steps:
- Make a plan – start saving up a few months before you launch your freelance career, to tide you over until your first payments come through.
- Find clients – start with people you know, extend out from there and make full use of social media (an updated LinkedIn profile is a must – you can read seven simple rules to create a perfect LinkedIn profile here).
- Get good at networking – learn to love social media and find local face-to-face networking events (go with business cards and a good sales pitch).
- Work out how much you’re worth – find out what other freelancers charge and work out a rate of pay you’re happy with.
- Say yes when you can – even if a project doesn’t sound attractive, you never know what other work it may lead to.
- Keep track of what you’re asked to do – keep a record of anything a client asks you to do, and confirm verbal requests by email.
- Get to grips with admin – keep on top of paperwork and finance regularly.
- Hire an accountant – get good financial advice on the best company structure and take advantage of any tax breaks.
- Invest in good equipment – ensure your computer and any other equipment is up for the job and invest in time-saving tools.
- Find other freelancers you trust – build a network of freelancers to pass extra work onto and share advice and support.
Master these 10 steps and you’ll soon be launching a successful and rewarding freelance career.
If you’d like to find out more about the first 10 steps of setting up a freelance business, and why they’re so important, read our full length guide to launching a freelance career.