Decided that this is the year you ARE going to get fit, but haven’t found the inspiration yet? We share some of our favourite workout picks – plus get celebrity Pilates trainer Brooke Siler to give us the inside track on the most stylish and practical gym wear.
Struggling to find your motivation to work out? Then get a fitness tracker, like the Fit Bit charge. That way you can monitor every step to the dishwasher, on the school run and you’ll be surprised by just how much you’ve done.
Active wear hits the high street
If you need to inject a bit more finesse to your fitness looks then it’s easier than ever to get active wear on the high street. Try Rosie for Autograph Active wear at M&S or H&M for a great range of affordable sportswear.
If you want to spend more on your gym gear then try HPE, Sweaty Betty or Lululemon who are all independent specialist brands but if you prefer a choice of brands under one roof then Active in style.co.uk is a one stop shop or try John Lewis, who stock Aussie label Lorna Jane among others.
HPE (Human Performance Engineering) is a brand favoured by celebrities and worn by the likes of Khloe Kardashian and model Alessandra Ambrosia.
Book exercise classes at Sweaty Betty
Did you know that you can book exercise classes in your local Sweaty Betty store too? So committed are they to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle that this service is offered free.
Look out for their new ‘Rumble’ classes which combine shadow -boxing techniques with martial arts. And if you can’t make it to a store then they offer online classes for you to workout at home.
Pilates trainer Brooke Siler’s top gym picks
Brooke Siler, bestselling author of The Pilates Body and celebrity Pilates instructor (read our exclusive interview with her here) has given us her top three picks from the Sweaty Betty Range as well as insider tips to her favourite brands:
- I LOVE fitted, soft, long-sleeve tees like the Superfine L/Slv Yoga Tee – they’re super-sexy!
- The Niyama Yoga Vest looks good for a long waist.
- I don’t run, but I like anything described as ‘bum sculpting’, like these Zero Gravity Run Tights!
- The best in the biz are Elisabetta Rogiani fans. Her bootleg pants and leggings in particular are made from a great, long-wearing lycra and can be made to order.
- My fave tops are from Zohba. Again, great hard-wearing material, clean classic cuts and holds you in the right places. This Grace Logo style tank has long been a favourite of mine and we sold them at my studio for years.
- And last but not least, we sold lots of Marika basics at the studio. Their price point was great for the essentials.
Our pick of workout DVDs
And if you love the thought of more exercise but struggle to cram it in then try working out from home. There’s more on offer than ever before from celebrity endorsed DVD’s to workouts online. Try LESMILLS or Davina McCall’s Fit in 15 DVD.
So what are you waiting for? Grab some new gear, make time for some regular exercise and get stylishly fit!
Karen Skagerlind shares style advice to help inspire your daily outfits on her blog Mums Wear Daily.